Functional Anatomy: The Secret to Therapeutic Effectiveness
Functional anatomy is an essential area of knowledge for anyone who wants to help people with therapeutic issues. If we understand the true action and function of each muscle in the body, we understand what activities would be limited by that muscle (daily activities, yoga postures, etc.), how it might be likely to get into trouble, how to contract and stretch it.
Trigger point therapists rely completely on functional anatomy of muscles, because we have to be clear about which muscle we're on, where the trigger point locations reside, and how to change its length. Yoga teachers and other movement facilitators will be able to understand the true causes of limited motion, which is a key step toward restoring graceful, pain-free movement.
Essential, Useful Information That You Will Learn
Functional Anatomy is a required aspect of our Certified Thai Bodywork Practitioner program. This online version of the course contains all of the video captured during our 3-day in-person course, along with reference materials that can be downloaded. We cover 60 of the foundational muscles for therapists, and for each muscle discuss:
- Muscle attachments in a visual manner, not just memorizing
- Muscle actions and function during the activities of life
- How to palpate the muscle clearly in common positions on the mat
- Techniques such as isolated contraction that can be used to distinguish the muscle from its neighbors
- Common complaints and referred pain caused by the muscle
- How to passively shorten, actively contract and stretch the muscle in convenient treatment positions on the mat
Instead of the usual dry, memorization-oriented A&P, this class strives to be as interactive and hands-on as possible to increase retention and make learning anatomy fun. For each muscle, we show actual examples of palpating, contracting and stretching the muscle that you can follow along with on your own time.
This course will be a life long reference that you will have streaming access to 24/7, so you can review the information before sessions, or before and after classes, in study sessions with friends.